Tuesday, February 08, 2011

The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card

The Lost Gate (Mithermages)The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed the overall story, mainly the Danny chapters. The worldbuilding is interesting. In the Danny chapters there is a reuse of tropes seen in Enchantment which was an enjoyable read. It starts out with me, as a reader, worried that the story would devolve into Lord of the Flies, but  Card manages to spin it in a  hopeful direction.


The Wad chapters remind me of Hart's Hope which is a repulsive book, imo, and probably for that reason, I found those chapters repellant.


I think Card is talented at telling stories that center on children's innocent amorality, but he really stinks when he tries to go into archetypes, so I am a bit worried about the sequel. But on it's own, I liked this book.


View all my reviews

No comments: